Sunday, April 6, 2014

Monday, March 31st

This Tuesday I started my field placement for one of my education classes. It was very interesting because it was unlike any placement I had had before. My first experience was at the Zanesville Juvenile Detention Center and that was eye opening to say the least. Some of the kids were the brightest and best I had every seen but they were stuck in jail due to behavior issues. Other children seemed doomed because of their family's history. My second placement was in Maysville. I had a teacher that dealt with children that had behavioral issues and learning difficulties. Not to sound mean, but from this teacher I learned what NOT to do. He never really had control of the classroom and the children did not respect him. Almost everyone's phone was out, and if they weren't texting or on a social media then they were sleeping. This leads me into how my new teacher made my day.
I am now in Cambridge High School. I was assigned a teacher that was unknown by girls I work with who attend that school. It turns out that he was a Cambridge alumni and went to Muskingum as well. He traveled around a series of schools and universities to teach and coach men's basketball. It was awesome to hear about his journeys through Ohio and even Florida with his teaching career. In his classroom, he has 100% control. I praise this because of what I have learned before. His teaching style was so creative and energetic as well. The students love him and welcomed me with open arms. I envy this and want the same respectful but fun relationship with my future students. The learning environment should not be one of torture and dullness. His classroom does not seem like a chore or just a dry lecture by some old white guy. I also learned a lot about his students. Unfortunately, two of the boys I had are regulars at Bob Evans and always request me as their waitress. My name is Jenilee, and they call me General Lee and salute to me. When they walking into the classroom my stomach dropped. Standing there right in front of me in attention were the two wild boys I saw after nearly every home game. It made my day very interesting but at the same time it showed the students that teachers still have personalities and are humans too.

No comments:

Post a Comment